What’s the deal with Applicant Tracking Systems and Resumes?
These systems automatically sort through thousands of resumes to identify candidates that are perceived as the best match for recruiters and hiring managers to review. Without optimizing your resume for ATS algorithms, your resume may never be seen by a human. Effective best practices include:
- Use a Microsoft Word document, no PDFs
- Avoid text boxes, tables, headers, and footers
- Pull keywords from the job description and insert them into your resume
- Save resumes as a .docx file when possible
- Keep the section titles consistent and brief